Tuesday, March 24, 2009

To play or not to play?

...football that is.

A debate is going on in class on whether or not UNCW should have a football team. Granted there are other sports present on this campus such as baseball but, should we add to our collection?

I think having a UNCW football team would be a good idea. Ive attended several athletic events and very few people show school spirit. Being in the south, football is a very prominant sport and generally more people attend football games than any other. For the most part, UNCW has very weak school spirit. I went to high school in West Virginia near Huntington. For those of you who do not know, Marshall University is located in that city. Football games were always a big to do. Everytime there was a home game, the buzz around all the local high schools was all about the upcoming game. The surrounding communities would put up banners and have special deals and events at resturaunts. Every game was always full of fun stuff and tailgate parties and after parties. The entired area got involved. I feel that if UNCW had a football team, it would allow the Wilmington area a chance to get involved with people they dont necessarily know. I also think that it would be a good opportunity for the high school students nearby to have more chances to check out collge life besides the academic side. Having a football team wil also give the area a sensee of comraderie, in the sense that they are all banding together to root for their team.

Another reason for having a football team would be for money. Selling tickets for even 5 bucks a piece would gernerate revenue for the school. It would also create new jobs for students and other people around campus.

All in all I think having a football team at UNCW would be a very good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment